THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2016   #1
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Are weird fiction fans more likely to be creators than other genre fans?

Hoping to get some discussion going again and this has been on my mind a few years.

I've seen weird fiction and horror being criticized for being insular and most of the readers and reviewers being limited to aspiring or established writers.
It's also been said many times that being a big fan of these things requires a relatively rare sensitivity most people don't possess.

Does this sensitivity make them more likely to be creators? (whether it's fiction, art, music or something else)

Is this sensitivity always going to be rare or could it be passed on to/brought out of more people until it's a much bigger phenomenon? Would it make more people creators or mostly expand the audience of non-creators?

I wonder if there was ever the potential for it to be mass culture and what the world would be like in that situation.

I'd certainly like it to get bigger. If there's not many readers there'll not be many editors and gatekeepers whose tastes shape the variety of fiction being written. *

I think sometimes fellow creators can be too soft and forgiving as critics, not only because they want to win favour in the scene but because they understand how difficult it is to create good work. I think it's necessary to have critics who don't care how difficult it is but simply demand writing of a very high standard.

====
* Johnny Mains Years Best was cancelled. Stephen Jones Best New appears to be stopping and he's doing less anthologies. I've heard that Ellen Datlow's Years Best is cancelled but I don't know if it's true. Are we in a transition with editors and anthologies?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Ibrahim (11-12-2016), miguel1984 (11-13-2016), Mr. Veech (11-12-2016), qcrisp (11-12-2016)