THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Other Authors > D. F. Lewis
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
One Day At A Time
One Day At A Time
by DF Lewis
Published by Nemonymous
04-18-2008
One Day At A Time

When you have a lot of worries, a useful piece of advice is to take one day at a time. I often think about this and do my best to take into account the implications of taking one day at a time. You see, I have a lot of worries and countless people who worry me with their own worries and sometimes a stray worry floats by and my brain picks the worry from the air like a magnet and makes it my own worry – a worry escaped from a stranger’s brain or a previously ownerless worry or a worry that is not a worry at all but something disguised as a worry. On bad days, worries swarm en masse rather than separately: not a spattering but a blizzard: the worries not only of people who are still alive but also the residual worries of those who have passed away. Recently, I picked up one of King Henry VIII’s worries. Well, I could go on. So I should ‘take one day at a time’, thus to capture each day’s worries within that day and then allow the whole day itself to pass away – a day of worries vanishing into a cone of nothingness. Each day packaged and signed off. But they do say when you die you re-live all your days again. I can’t believe this is true. But it certainly is a worry.
3 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (01-05-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (01-06-2010), yellowish haze (02-14-2015)
By G. S. Carnivals on 04-19-2008
Re: One Day At A Time

A brilliant little piece, des. I particularly like the Ligottian rhythm and repetition. I could not help myself from thinking of "Purity" while reading this. Thank you!
By yellowish haze on 04-19-2008

But they do say when you die you re-live all your days again. I can’t believe this is true. But it certainly is a worry.
This certainly is a worry, des! This is why I find my lack of belief in life after death so comfortable. Thank you for posting this really nice piece of Ligottian flash fiction, which is both funny and very disturbing.
By Nemonymous on 01-05-2010

Thanks, I can't recall seeing those comments before, GSC and Slawek.

I just came to this page by choosing a few random titles from this list , titles that I couldn't remember AT ALL.
By njhorror on 01-05-2010

If we devote our attention to the concerns of today without having one foot in the past and one foot in the future we are living to the best of our ability one day at a time, and are ensured of a rich and full life.
Comment