Old 06-24-2010   #7
Tsalal XIII
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 9,094, Level: 66 Points: 9,094, Level: 66 Points: 9,094, Level: 66
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Book: Being No One

Ok, I'll try to answer posts both by Albert and Acutely Decayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Nash View Post
My question is, according to Metzinger's theory of self, is l... the same self before and after the accident?
As far as I understand this theory, a single "self" can never be identical at any two moments in time, simply because there is no such thing as a static self. And I don't mean it just in Heraclitus' sense ("You cannot step twice into the same river.") - self model is a dynamic process, ever changing representation constanlty updated by all accessible input from various subsystems of the brian processing proprioception, vision (senses, generally), emotions, and yes, of course, memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Acutely decayed View Post
His comments on lucid dreaming are interesting though and to some extent ring false to me at the moment.
transparency (invisibility) of the nuts and bolts generating the feeling of self is a requirement of the experience (according to the theory).
Transparency is not invisbility - I admit that for a long time I was confused by the way Metzinger uses this term as well. Fenomenal representation is transparent when it does not contain the informaton that it is a only representation. In other words, things are transparent when you experience them as real, as "being out there". Of course transparency is just a depiction created by our brain. Things can be depicted as real, but can also be depictes as a simulation - as in lucid dreaming or pseudohalucinations, when you realize (not just intelectually - the very quality of your expereince tells you this) that what you experience is actually just a construct.
And so, the self being transparent simply means we cannot experience it as just a construct, a simulation. It does however become opaque at times - as in some deep meditative states, result of hallucinogens, or in some neurological syndromes as
Cotard_delusion Cotard_delusion
. (I also recommend this great essay by Metzinger -
).
Tsalal XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Russell Nash (06-24-2010)