THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-22-2017   #1
Evans
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Is Weird Fiction Slanted Towards Western Values?

The title says it all. Is modern Weird Fiction largely slanted towards a view of the world informed by modern Western values, that is that it implies a perception of the world as 'inert' material to be mastered by human endeavor, usually technological, the punchline often being that we are too insignificant to carry out this operation.

Cosmicism, the most extreme example of this world-desire, is a horror of thwarted desire: Humanity simply are not up to the task of making the world amenable to Man.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
8 Thanks From:
DarkView (03-26-2017), miguel1984 (03-23-2017), Mr. Veech (03-22-2017), Nirvana In Karma (03-23-2017), qcrisp (03-23-2017), Raul Urraca (03-23-2017), Speaking Mute (03-24-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017   #2
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Is Weird Fiction Slanted Towards Western Values?

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
The title says it all. Is modern Weird Fiction largely slanted towards a view of the world informed by modern Western values, that is that it implies a perception of the world as 'inert' material to be mastered by human endeavor, usually technological, the punchline often being that we are too insignificant to carry out this operation.

Cosmicism, the most extreme example of this world-desire, is a horror of thwarted desire: Humanity simply are not up to the task of making the world amenable to Man.
I immediately thought of the mid to late Heidegger's destruction of Western metaphysics upon reading your post, which in turn made me think of Adorno and Horkheimer's critique of instrumental reason. "Thwarted desire" might correspond roughly to that part of the "object" which resists conceptual reduction or subsumption. Instead of a rational totality, there's an aspect of the material or natural world which forever eludes man's own understanding of things. One might think of "cosmicism" in the aforementioned manner.

Sounds pretty "Western" to me.

EDIT:

I usually dislike post-Marxist theory, but I feel rationality was ultimately corrupted by the advent of capitalism insofar as it transformed reason into a tool of efficiency, not a means by which happiness (self-perfection) is achieved, which is the classical definition of reason. Granted, I don't think either understanding (or historical mode?) of rationality brings happiness. Nevertheless, the latter account is beautiful and tragic, while the former is vulgar and worthy of contempt.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
DarkView (03-26-2017), Evans (03-22-2017), miguel1984 (03-23-2017), Raul Urraca (03-23-2017), Speaking Mute (03-24-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017   #3
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Just cosmic horror or modern weird fiction in general?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #4
DarkView
Mystic
Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

If we define Western Values as order derived technologically, and this comprehended by the Western mind as being an absolute value, I would say yes. Perhaps the only reason things seem amenable in the West is its existential state--relative comfort, seeming prosperity, and order. In such a state it is easy to believe that, by extension, the whole of the universe can be amenable as well, if not physically then at least intellectually. So, In large part, I'd venture that weird fiction, (cosmic horror in particular), is an attempt to dispel the illusion of amenability.

“Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.”
Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited
DarkView is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-26-2017), Mr. Veech (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017   #5
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100 Points: 22,558, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by DarkView View Post
If we define Western Values as order derived technologically, and this comprehended by the Western mind as being an absolute value, I would say yes. Perhaps the only reason things seem amenable in the West is its existential state--relative comfort, seeming prosperity, and order. In such a state it is easy to believe that, by extension, the whole of the universe can be amenable as well, if not physically then at least intellectually. So, In large part, I'd venture that weird fiction, (cosmic horror in particular), is an attempt to dispel the illusion of amenability.
The comfort and prosperity you mentioned is probably a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for something like "cosmicism" (I now hate the term after reading qcrisp's observations) to develop. Only a developed society can discover the futility and senselessness of existence; less developed societies typically don't have the necessary resources to reach that state of cultivation.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"

Last edited by Mr. Veech; 03-27-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
DarkView (03-26-2017), miguel1984 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017   #6
DarkView
Mystic
Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
The comfort and prosperity you mentioned is probably a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for something like "cosmicism" (I now hate the term after reading qcrisp's observations) to develop. Only a developed society can discover the futility and senselessness of existence; less developed societies typically don't have the necessary resources to reach that state of cultivation.
I understand the reservations for that term, as it originally denotes order, though it could be that it is the human mind that projects rationality and intelligibility and not that the universe is intelligible.

“Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.”
Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited
DarkView is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017   #7
Ibrahim
Grimscribe
Points: 10,360, Level: 70 Points: 10,360, Level: 70 Points: 10,360, Level: 70
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

. So, In large part, I'd venture that weird fiction, (cosmic horror in particular), is an attempt to dispel the illusion of amenability.
Which in a way means that Weird Fiction is slanted against Western values...

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #8
Ibrahim
Grimscribe
Points: 10,360, Level: 70 Points: 10,360, Level: 70 Points: 10,360, Level: 70
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post

Are those, really, western values?
Also, what are typically oriental values?

The implied contrast here, with the image of the fatalistic, slothful orient- that's perhaps a bit western...

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #9
Evans
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post

I immediately thought of the mid to late Heidegger's destruction of Western metaphysics upon reading your post, which in turn made me think of Adorno and Horkheimer's critique of instrumental reason. "Thwarted desire" might correspond roughly to that part of the "object" which resists conceptual reduction or subsumption. Instead of a rational totality, there's an aspect of the material or natural world which forever eludes man's own understanding of things. One might think of "cosmicism" in the aforementioned manner.
I did think of Heidegger after I'd made that post. I would separate the 'instrumental' view of the world from the attempt to understand it though in the case of my criticism here the issue is not being unable to understand the world but being able to understand clearly that the world says 'No'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Are those, really, western values?
Yes. If need be I can elaborate on their progressive development in Enlightenment Deism, Positivism, Utilitarianism and to a lesser extent economics.

Also, what are typically oriental values?
No one specific answer but I bring them up in contrast because:

A. Non-Dualism has historically had more prominence in Indian and Far Eastern thought.

B. Pantheism and Panentheism have had more influence in Indian, Native American, South American and to a lesser extent Islamic thought.

C. Animism has had more influence in African and South American thought

The implied contrast here, with the image of the fatalistic, slothful orient- that's perhaps a bit western...
No... Where again do I imply fatalistic or slothful?

Last edited by Evans; 03-23-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-23-2017), Mr. Veech (03-23-2017), Raul Urraca (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017   #10
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

The development of what we might call the weird tale outside of the West might not have happened if not for Eastern writers being exposed to Poe, especially the Japanese Modernists.

So, yes, I believe this is the case.
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-23-2017)