THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-30-2011   #1
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 125,854, Level: 100 Points: 125,854, Level: 100 Points: 125,854, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: At what age did you stop believing in ghosts?

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Gray House View Post
Here is a book that may have relevance to some of the things discussed in this thread. I've not read it and I'm not familiar with the author, so I can't really recommend it, but it did get a very positive blurb from Jeff Vandermeer.

Amazon.com: Denying Science: Conspiracy Theories, Media Distortions, and the War Against Reality (9781616143992): John Grant: Books
This may be the same pseudonymous John Grant who was co-editor with John Clute of The Encyclopedia of Fantasy, a huge, brilliant work of reference and criticism. I haven't read Denying Science, but looking at the table of contents I wonder if it diagnoses a mindset that's somewhat different from what has been argued over in this thread.
Evolution vs. design, climate change-denial and anti-gay sentiment seem to be a large part of the subject matter. The title of the book would put me off, as the implication is that science is undeniable that "resistance is useless". Politically (haven't read the book but am guessing), I expect I'd be in sympathy with much or most of it (hard ever to be one hundred per cent in sympathy with anything). I wonder who it's addressed to, though?

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Gray House (09-30-2011), gveranon (09-30-2011)