THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Member Interviews
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
TLO Member Interview: Freyasfire
Interview conducted by Phillip Stecco
Published by G. S. Carnivals
11-17-2010

Conducted by Phillip Stecco

1) How did you first encounter the work of Thomas Ligotti?

I first heard of Thomas Ligotti through the praises of David Tibet around 2003, I believe. I remember from the start even his name intrigued me. But I did not actively seek out any of his work right away. It was in 2004 that I happened upon the story "Teatro Grottesco" in a Year's Best Fantasy and Horror volume that I had taken out of the library. As my boyfriend was also curious about Ligotti's work, he read me the story out loud as dusk was falling on a winter's afternoon. I remember it very vividly. I have a pretty short attention span when listening to stories being read aloud, but my mind did not wander once as I was listening to those darkly enchanting words. The story got under my skin, and I was seeing soft black stars everywhere out of the corners of my eyes. I knew I had to read more by Ligotti as soon as possible, and was delighted that my local library had a copy of The Nightmare Factory. I was not aware at the time how scarce that book had become. I devoured the book's contents in a matter of days, and knew that I had found a writer who truly spoke to the dark void within me. I was a very easy convert to the cult of Ligotti, and knew that I would remain a disciple for the rest of my life.

2) What are some of your favorite works by Mr. Ligotti?

This is a very hard question to answer, as there are so many of them. Also, the results can vary slightly depending on my mood. But the stories that I seem to revisit the most are those contained within Part 4 of The Nightmare Factory, namely "Teatro Grottesco," "Gas Station Carnivals," "The Bungalow House" and "The Clown Puppet."

3) What other writers do you enjoy reading?

I'm pretty boring when it comes to what I read, but I do read quite a bit. I stick mainly to the dark fantasy, horror, and supernatural genres. My favourite writers include Tanith Lee, Catherynne M. Valente, Quentin S. Crisp, Reggie Oliver, Caitlín R. Kiernan, Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood, Lord Dunsany, Clark Ashton Smith, and Angela Carter, among others, of course. I am sorry to say that I read much too little non-fiction.

4) Do you have any favorite singers or musicians?

Apart from literature, music is my other main passion in life. I have music on whenever I can, and I am seldom to be seen without headphones when not at work (and even sometimes when I am at work). My preferred genres are ethereal, darkwave, neo-classical and neo-medieval, with some gothic rock, metal and apocalyptic folk thrown in. It would be extremely tedious of me to name all of my favourite musical acts, so I will limit it to Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows, Bacio di Tosca, Faith and the Muse, Unto Ashes, Faun, Mors Syhphilitica, Cocteau Twins and Fields of the Nephilim. But I feel that I am missing way too many artists...

5) Do you have any favorite artists in the visual media?

My biggest weakness where visual art is concerned would have to be the Pre-Raphaelites and their associates. I could lose myself in one painting by Edward Burne-Jones for days, not to mention John William Waterhouse. I'm also quite fond of Aubrey Beardsley, William Morris, Gustave Doré and Albrecht Durer. More modern artists whose works I adore include Madeline Von Foerster, Benjamin A. Vierling, Remedios Varo, and Santiago Caruso. I also have a soft spot for fairy paintings both new and old, including works by Amy Brown and Brian Froud. Of course, this is but scratching the surface, but I feel that I am being too wordy already.

6) What are some of your favorite movies?

Some of my favourite movies include Lynch's Mulholland Drive, Fellini's Satyricon and Juliet of the Spirits, Glenn Morgan's Willard (mmm, Crispin Glover!), Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, Gilliam's Tideland and Taymor's Titus. I also adore almost any release by the likes of Hammer Horror, Amicus, and American International. Those movies are rarely scary, but the atmosphere these studios created can't be topped, in my opinion. Finally, I must also confess that I have quite the soft spot for the films of Argento, when taken with a grain of salt.

7) Do you watch television?

I'm not a regular TV watcher, no, but I often like to have marathons of shows I like on DVD at the weekends. My favourite shows are mainly British, namely "The League of Gentlemen" (brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!), "Black Books," "Extras," "The Office" and "The Mighty Boosh." Non-British shows that tickle my fancy are "Twin Peaks," "Millennium," "Carnivale," "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Flight of the Concords."

8) What foods do you enjoy eating?

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! I'm also partial to Indian, Thai, and Japanese food, but really, I'll eat just about anything as long as it's tasty (and usually unhealthy!)

9) Do you have any odd hobbies or collecting fetishes?

No, not really. I collect books and CDs. Pretty boring. Oh, but I do have a small collection of stuffed dragons. Does that count?

10) What recreational activities do you enjoy?

Nothing really that I haven't already mentioned. I am not the sport or outdoorsy type AT ALL!!!! But I do like going on long, long walks, preferably at twilight. And drinking heavily is almost always good...

11) What makes you laugh?

My boyfriend can almost always make me laugh (usually at myself). Lolcats and other silly internet memes. Actually, the internet offers me a wealth of material that regularly makes me double over in laughter, again, usually sent to me by my boyfriend. I don't know how he finds all this good stuff!

12) Life?

Is bearable as long as I am left to do what I like, which is all too infrequently, I'm afraid.

13) Death?

Is something I am looking forward to, although I am in no rush. It'll happen when it happens. I just hope it's not too painful.

14) Work?

Is a necessary evil, and probably always will be. I shouldn't really complain, however, because although my job isn't the highest paying, and is perhaps irritating at times, for the most part it is pretty cushy.

15) Do you have any interesting work anecdotes to relate?

No, not really. I work in a library, so things are usually pretty boring. But I will say that I am ever so tired of hearing students ask me if they can "rent" a book...

16) What is your earliest childhood memory?

My memory is atrocious, and unfortunately the earliest childhood memories I hold are quite unpleasant, so I won't share them here.

17) What is your fondest childhood memory?

Having all the time I wanted to close myself off in my room and read. Seriously.

18) Who has been the most influential person in your life?

Sadly, nobody.

19) Do you have a special plan for this world?

Just to leave as little impact upon it as I can.

20) What else should we know about you?

There is nothing really that anybody should know about me. However, if anybody is curious to know anything else, all he/she has to do is ask.
23 Thanks From:
Allyson (11-17-2010), Andrea Bonazzi (11-17-2010), Ascrobius (11-17-2010), bendk (11-17-2010), candy (11-17-2010), Daisy (11-23-2010), Dr. Bantham (11-17-2010), EemeliJ (11-17-2010), gveranon (11-17-2010), hypnogeist (11-18-2010), kobaia (11-18-2010), Montag (03-01-2011), Mr. D. (11-18-2010), Murony_Pyre (11-17-2010), Nemonymous (11-17-2010), njhorror (11-17-2010), nomis (11-17-2010), qcrisp (11-17-2010), shivering (11-18-2010), Soukesian (11-17-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (11-17-2010), starrysothoth (11-17-2010), waffles (11-17-2010)