THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-28-2010   #1
njhorror
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: "The Old Knowledge" and Women of the Weird

Angela Slatter's other collection The Girl with No Hands is available in paperback on Amazon for $19.99. Combine that with a paperback and you have free shipping. That was a good deal for me, because being in North America the shipping from "down under" can be expensive.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
kobaia (09-30-2010)
Old 09-28-2010   #2
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

While we are on the subject of Women of the Weird (and I would much prefer that each individual writer discussed had her own thread), I find it quite strange that Caitlín R. Kiernan hasn't been mentioned yet. I don't have time to write very much about, but it strikes me as strange that she isn't mentioned on TLO very often. Is it because people haven't read her? Or doesn't like her? (and if so, I'd be interested in knowing why, as I do like her, but am uncertain why and also uncertain why I don't necessarily like everything I've read by her). Or is it because she doesn't want to be labelled a horror writer?

On Rosalie Parker's debut collection, I hope the copy I ordered through Gardners (because I work in a bookshop, it makes it cheaper) in early September will show up soon.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #3
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 25,762, Level: 100 Points: 25,762, Level: 100 Points: 25,762, Level: 100

I'm a fan of most of Caitlin's work, but I never thought to mention her here because I thought that most people were already familiar with her work. I thought that this thread was to discuss lesser known or newer writers of weird fiction. Caitlin is pretty established.
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #4
nomis
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Freyasfire View Post
I'm a fan of most of Caitlin's work, but I never thought to mention her here because I thought that most people were already familiar with her work. I thought that this thread was to discuss lesser known or newer writers of weird fiction. Caitlin is pretty established.
That was my hope in starting this thread, but I fear we have failed to discuss many authors of note. Or, I suppose, it's possible there is a significant dearth, which in my opinion is far worse the crime.

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #6
nomis
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100

I'd like to add Lisa L. Hannett to the list.

Simon Strantzas

Thanks From:
shivering (09-12-2013)
Old 10-27-2013   #7
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 25,762, Level: 100 Points: 25,762, Level: 100 Points: 25,762, Level: 100

I saw this post over at the Vault of Evil forums, and must say it pleased me. I've only read a few of Anna Taborska's stories, but they've definitely made a good impression; disturbing, creepy and cruel! And I'm especially delighted to see that Reggie Oliver has not only penned the introduction, but has provided illustrations as well!

Anna Taborska - For Those Who Dream Monsters (Mortbury Press, October, 2013)

Steve Upham

Reggie Oliver - Introduction

Schrödinger’s Human
Little Pig
Fish
Buy a Goat for Christmas
Cut!
Arthur’s Cellar
The Apprentice
The Girl in the Blue Coat
A Tale of Two Sisters:
I. Rusalka
II. First Night
Halloween Lights
The Coffin
The Creaking
Dirty Dybbuk
Underbelly
Tea with the Devil
Elegy
Bagpuss

Blurb:
What are you afraid of? What are you haunted by? What waits for you in the dark?

Face your fears and embark on a journey to the dark side of the human condition. Defy the demons that prey on you and the cruel twists of face that destroy what you hold most dear.

A sadistic baker, a psychopathic physics professor, wolves, werewolves, cannibals, Nazis, devils, serial killers, ghosts and other monsters will haunt you long after you finish reading.

For those who dream of Monsters by Anna Taborska

A Eighteen tales from the abyss, with chilling illustrations by Reggie Oliver.

"...... Anna is nothing if not a cruel blade when it comes to scary and horrible fiction." - Paul Finch, author of Stalkers and Sacrifice.

Those of us who've been fortunate enough to have experienced Anna's work will appreciate that she is not a lady to disappoint you with a happy ending when a perfectly depressing one is an option, and, from those stories I recognise from the table of contents, For Those Who Dream Monsters is unlikely to buck the trend.

Cost (UK) is £9, futher details from Charlie at Mortbury Press.

3 Thanks From:
bendk (10-28-2013), Druidic (10-29-2013), njhorror (11-01-2013)
Old 10-29-2013   #8
mark_samuels
Quotes:

Anna Taborska is an excellent author. I think her work is getting stronger and stronger with each tale I see. A collection of her tales must be an event of high significance in the field of weird fiction. (Her father, by the way, was an accomplished poet-in-exile over here in London post WW2). If memory serves me correctly, I remember she also directed an excellent short horror film.

Another female author of genuine superlative talent is Thana Niveau, but doubtless Ligottians are already familiar with her work. But if not, they should be.

Mark S.
Thanks From:
Murony_Pyre (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013   #9
nomis
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I thought Thana Niveau had already been added to this thread, but reviewing it now I see that's not the case.

I feel as though there have been more than a few great weird writers who happen to be female that have appeared since I initiated this topic, something that pleases me to no end.

Simon Strantzas

Old 10-31-2013   #10
Freyasfire
Grimscribe

Thana Niveau has been mentioned here before, but on another thread, I believe. In any case, I also wholeheartedly recommend people further exploring her work if they are not familiar with it. Her lifelong passion for all things horror shines through every story that I've read by her.