Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2015   #1
Frater_Tsalal
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,926, Level: 100 Points: 24,926, Level: 100 Points: 24,926, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal
Need a name for a Lovecraftian horrorcore hip-hop band

For a couple of months now, I've had an idea in my head for a novel (or novella) revolving around a main character who, in the 1990's, was in a horrorcore hip-hop band: this band recorded one album, but after sinister things began occurring to people who listened to it, he shut the band down and quit the music industry. Having been born in Providence (and having a father who was both a writer and reader of horror fiction), the main character decided to incorporate Lovecraftian references into the band's lyrics, to set them apart from the other horrorcore bands (most of whom either reference serial killers, the Devil or movie monsters, with Stephen King/Clive Barker/Thomas Harris being about as literary as they got).

The only thing that's prevented me from starting on this is that, simply put, I haven't been able to come up with any cool ideas for what the name of this band (or this album, though I'm thinking maybe "Harlem Smoke" for that) should be. Granted, it's not a super-important detail as the story is set in present day and this would just be background detail, but still... Obviously it would have to be somewhat Lovecraftian, and at the same time something kind of ghetto/hip-hop/whatever. So I figured I'd just throw this out here and see if anyone could help me come up with something. Incidentally, I do know that the main character's stage name is "Buck Robinson," one of the few black characters to appear in any of Lovecraft's stories: I like the idea of a black hip-hop artist taking a stereotypical black boogeyman character and reappropriating it.

“Human life is limited but I would like to live forever.”
-Yukio Mishima
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Auditor (10-27-2016), ChildofOldLeech (04-23-2015), miguel1984 (04-23-2015), Mr. D. (04-24-2015)