THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-01-2013   #21
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Africa as an arena for Horror.

I am definitely quite late in coming to this conversation, but I would like to reiterate the prior recommendations of Paul Bowles to anyone interested in tales of horror within an African milieu. Setting aside Bowles' extensive firsthand knowledge of Morocco, his prose is absolutely beautiful, and while rarely overtly supernatural, there is a distinct aura of cosmic pessimism and misanthropy that should be quite familiar to aficionados of the Weird that runs through even his most "realistic" stories—although given the dreamlike atmospheres he often creates, that may not be the best adjective.

For his most potent and abysmal tales of the evil that men do, I think that I can make no better suggestion than "A Distant Episode". The appalled New York Times reviewer that had to review the collection which it ended refused to describe it, which is just as well; it is not particularly graphic, but giving away the details denies the tale some cumulative potency. On the lighter side (relatively speaking), his children's tale "Kitty" is sad and lovely (although quite far from Tangiers in set and setting).

P.S. "He of the Assembly" is one of the most effectively disconcerting depictions of the psychedelic experience that I have yet encountered, in prose or otherwise. The bizarre leaps in (dream) logic, claustrophobic tone and continuous mounting sensations of unease and confusion all serve wonderfully to put the reader into the minds of two frantic kif smokers in the grips of overlapping fits of paranoia. It is a bit difficult to parse if one is not in the right mindset, but I think that only adds to the verisimilitude.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #22
Murony_Pyre
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 18,097, Level: 92 Points: 18,097, Level: 92 Points: 18,097, Level: 92
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Africa as an arena for Horror.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silent One View Post
I am definitely quite late in coming to this conversation, but I would like to reiterate the prior recommendations of Paul Bowles to anyone interested in tales of horror within an African milieu. Setting aside Bowles' extensive firsthand knowledge of Morocco, his prose is absolutely beautiful, and while rarely overtly supernatural, there is a distinct aura of cosmic pessimism and misanthropy that should be quite familiar to aficionados of the Weird that runs through even his most "realistic" stories—although given the dreamlike atmospheres he often creates, that may not be the best adjective.

For his most potent and abysmal tales of the evil that men do, I think that I can make no better suggestion than "A Distant Episode". The appalled New York Times reviewer that had to review the collection which it ended refused to describe it, which is just as well; it is not particularly graphic, but giving away the details denies the tale some cumulative potency. On the lighter side (relatively speaking), his children's tale "Kitty" is sad and lovely (although quite far from Tangiers in set and setting).

P.S. "He of the Assembly" is one of the most effectively disconcerting depictions of the psychedelic experience that I have yet encountered, in prose or otherwise. The bizarre leaps in (dream) logic, claustrophobic tone and continuous mounting sensations of unease and confusion all serve wonderfully to put the reader into the minds of two frantic kif smokers in the grips of overlapping fits of paranoia. It is a bit difficult to parse if one is not in the right mindset, but I think that only adds to the verisimilitude.
"He of the Assembly" is great; I had similar thoughts as yours regarding it when I first read it years ago-- glad you mentioned it. "By the Water" is overtly supernatural and has a fantastically grotesque atmosphere like a lost Arabian Night's tale.
Murony_Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote