THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Suggestion Box
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-28-2007   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
TLO Structure Complexity

I am posting a recent thread from the TLO Yahoo Group for consideration and comment within these forums.
Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo Group TLO
Quote Originally Posted by heavensblade23
The e-mail link on Ligotti.net doesn't work for me, so I'll mention this
here, in hopes that the webmaster sees it.

Might it be worthwhile to condense the number of forums on ligotti.net
down to maybe 5 or 10? As it stands there are probably 50 or more, with
approx. one subforum for
every 10 people.

With only five hundred or so registered users, this really fragments the
discussion unneccessarily and makes it a hassle to even check for new
discussion. For reference,
another forum I post on that has almost 100,000 users has roughly half
as many subforums.
Hello, Jeff.

While working on the forums at TLO, I did tend to put a heavy emphasis on categorization. This was a personal preference based on my own impulse to organize the posts. I have only received your complaint once before that I recall, though it came from an important source.

The main forum directory has 31 directories and there are a substantial number of subdirectories thereafter. Areas that are perhaps too fragmented are where individual stories are provided a corresponding directory, as within Quotations and Discussion.

In my opinion, the expansive use of directories only becomes an issue when one is “trawling” for topics by browsing through directories. Of course, if one is researching a specific interest this structure is actually preferable, thereby allowing focus to fall upon relevant threads.

There are several tools within TLO which aid in the processing of post data:
  1. Forums-->Recent/Top Rated
    Listing of recently rated and top rated content, per membership voting.
  2. Search
    You can search through forums, articles and downloads with extensive keyword searching.
  3. Recent Posts (MEMBER)
    Clicking on this link within the MEMBER Block will list all posts since the last time you logged in.
  4. Unanswered Posts (MEMBER)
    Clicking on this link within the User Block will list all posts which have yet to receive a reply.
  5. Forums-->Bookmarks (MEMBER)
    You can bookmark posts which you are keenly interested in and easily return to with this function.
  6. Watch Topics (MEMBER)
    This allows you to track topic activity and receive alerts when replies are made.
  7. Communication-->Email Digests (MEMBER)
    You can subscribe to email digests which send emails of forum activity, which can be limited in frequency and by forum directories.
  8. Profile Control Panel (MEMBER)
    When logged in, you can view post activity within timeframes (day/wee/month/etc.).
  9. Post Read Flagging (MEMBER)
    As a registered member, posts are flagged as read once you view them. Directories and subdirectories are highlighted if there is activity which you have not yet viewed. This allows you to focus on content which you have not yet viewed. If I recall correctly, this function might also be active for guests, though it would be cookie based and reset once you cleared your browser cookies.
All of the above methods denoted by (MEMBER) are functional only for registered members of TLO. Having compiled the list just now, it is apparent that most tools are limited as such. I can see how not having access to the full complement of tools to aid in navigating the posts could be overwhelming to some visitors browsing the site as a guest. Are you a member? Have you used any of the tools above? Are there any comments from others, either from a guest or member perspective? Again, membership to TLO is free and as private as you wish it to be.

Overall, I would agree that TLO is weighted heavier in functionality than ease of use. That was a conscious decision in most instances, though I know not the total detriment thereof unless visitors offer feedback as you have done here. TLO will remain eternally a “work in progress” as my time allows. An upgrade of various systems is being planned, therefore feedback is highly encouraged at this point. I just might listen.

Finally, I am curious as to why the “Email TLO” link does not work for you. Can you describe the result of clicking on this menu selection?

Best,
Dr. Bantham
TLO Co-conspirator
Is the forum structure here at TLO too complex? Are folks confounded by the depth of some interface elements? In the least, I learned from the comment that a primer should be compiled to explain site features and tools.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #2
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: TLO Structure Complexity

The structure of TLO is somewhat complex. The logic behind the arrangement is brilliant and sensible, I think. A bit of patient exploration will breed familiarity in the long run. The various tools are helpful if they are employed. Of course, as Dr. Bantham stated, membership has its privileges. :wink:

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #3
ventriloquist
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 7,454, Level: 60 Points: 7,454, Level: 60 Points: 7,454, Level: 60
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hi, Dr. B:

In general, I'm not away for so long that I can't find any new (to me) stuff in the "Recent Posts" window, so I rarely navigate the forum any other way... but, of course, not all 500+ members are so woefully addicted.

I do think some parts of the forum could stand being condensed. The story forum, for instance, is divided into subforums for individual Ligotti collections, when there's only a handful of topics in each subforum (or, as I glance at the SOADD subforum, none at all.)

There are some other sections that could be condensed or merged. For instance, instead of having separate subforums for items wanted, items available, etc. in the "Collecting" area, this could be a single forum in which distinctions such as "AVAILABLE:" or "WANTED:" are made in the titles of the topics. The various technical subforums might be condensed into one, and could also include misc. site-related stuff (suggestion box, site news, as well as TLO-specific contests/merchandise/etc.) The misc. polls and "Rants & Ravings" could be absorbed by the "Off Topic" forum. Stuff like that.

Also: would it be too confusing to make subforum topics visible/clickable from the higher-up forums? e.g., "Cthulhu Mythos" topics would be listed normally as part of "Off Topic," but one could also click on the subforum link to separate the relevant posts, as more of a tagging system than a subforum, as such. I'm not sure if that would make things more or less complicated, but sometimes topics can get hidden away in those subforums, I suspect.

OK, those are my thoughts/suggestions. I don't think the forum is unreasonably complex as it stands, but I can understand how it might be off-putting to someone who's browsing it for the first time, so some streamlining might ensure more posting activity from newer members.

(edit: I haven't noticed if these are used anywhere on TLO, but in some other online forums I check out, "sticky" posts are employed for whatever primer topics and time-sensitive announcements need to be kept apart from the general discussion... just one more thing that crossed my mind!)
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote