THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Website News
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 02-17-2008   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Ligotti Quotation Database

A database engine has been employed to further enable the collection, recitation and discussion of quotations from the works of Thomas Ligotti. Until now, the framework of this machination has been lurking beneath the surface of TLO and relegated to feeding the random quotation block on the portal page. Extensive revisions have now been applied to eliminate double entry and allow interconnectivity between the database and forums. Integration of Miss Plarr's recitals has also been simplified greatly, enabling Visceral Practices 101 classes to be accelerated dramatically. You should notice a proliferation of flash audio links embedded within many quotations, with all to follow likewise in time. A primer for creating new quotations will be provided soon. Until then, feel free to browse the quotations within Content-->Quotation Database or perform an Advanced Search of the correlated contents. Note that Quotation Discussion still occurs within the forums and is promoted via cross-linking. Speaking of such, if you are suitably stricken or puzzled by a particular quotation, discuss it within the connected forum thread!

I officially dedicate this construct to the inestimable THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK - View Profile: G. S. Carnivals@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: G. S. Carnivals</title>@@AMEPARAM@@G. S. Carnivals, whose relentless mining of Ligotti quotation gems has garnered 90% of the current trove!

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #2
barrywood
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Re: Ligotti Quotation Database

Thanks Dr. Bantham and Phil. I'll return when I have more time. This is fantastic.

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #3
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thank you for the kind words, Dr. Bantham and Barry! It is comforting to know that my work of the last two years is paying generous dividends at last. I consider the Thomas Ligotti quotations as a gift to TLO members and guests who do not have access to the original works. My work is not yet done.

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-02-2009)
Old 02-18-2008   #4
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
I consider the Thomas Ligotti quotations as a gift to TLO members and guests who do not have access to the original works. My work is not yet done.
After ruthless raids on my bank account, I now have access to all the original works (except those not included in collections). But I do very much appreciate these quotations, even though I've already read most of them. Ligotti's prose is very re-readable and the individual passages seem complete in themselves. In fact, reading them apart from their original narrative contexts actually heightens their poetic power. A very good book could be assembled of selected prose-snippets, perhaps arbitrarily sorted according to some procrustean topic-scheme.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (11-17-2008)
Old 02-23-2008   #5
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
A very good book could be assembled of selected prose-snippets, perhaps arbitrarily sorted according to some procrustean topic-scheme.
I have actually contemplated approaching Tom about pursuing this endeavor, though only as a supplement to a broader publication. Considering the pace that GSC has set, the concept of a dedicated publication seems possible. If permission and logistics could be addressed properly, would members be interested in purchasing such a tome?

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #6
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
A very good book could be assembled of selected prose-snippets, perhaps arbitrarily sorted according to some procrustean topic-scheme.
I have actually contemplated approaching Tom about pursuing this endeavor, though only as a supplement to a broader publication. Considering the pace that GSC has set, the concept of a dedicated publication seems possible. If permission and logistics could be addressed properly, would members be interested in purchasing such a tome?
Most definitely. Many of the quotations posted by G. S. Carnivals and others serve as genuine touchstones in relation to Ligottian thought. Such a compendium would not be a Reader's Digest Condensed Works of Thomas Ligotti. Rather, it would be more like A Reader's Field Guide to the Flora, Fauna, Weather and Architecture of the Ligottian Topography. An atlas rendered in prose and poetry.

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
candy (11-17-2008), G. S. Carnivals (11-17-2008), Ligeia (11-18-2008)
Old 02-24-2008   #7
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100

I'd definitely buy a copy (and pre-order if that helps). I love compilations of this nature. A trove of Ligotti's aphoristic/poetic/vatic passages would surely sell well to those who treasure such things.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
candy (11-17-2008), Ligeia (11-18-2008)
Old 11-17-2008   #8
starrysothoth
Chymist
Points: 17,169, Level: 90 Points: 17,169, Level: 90 Points: 17,169, Level: 90
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

I came upon this old-ish thread, and it interested me so much that I thought I would chime in. The idea of a collected quotes and verses book of Ligotti would be amazing to see! I'm one of those tortured Ligotti readers who didn't feverishly read the author until the last couple years. As a result, I missed a lot of the premium collectibles and ephemera a lot of older Ligotti fans have to covet. If a book of Ligotti passages were released through TLO or something, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only relative newcomer to snatch this item up.

It might also help quench our thirst while we await CATHR and other new works. I hope there's a chance this idea might become reality someday.
starrysothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
candy (11-17-2008), Dr. Bantham (11-17-2008), G. S. Carnivals (11-17-2008), Ligeia (11-18-2008)