THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Various
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-18-2007   #1
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Ridiculously Obscure Music

Recently I've found, via iTunes, this curious little "demo" EP by a band called Gog. They produce a form of instrumental music closest in style to Sunn 0)))'s more abstract stuff, albeit more organ-heavy and with some minimal drumming. Very chilled out, eerie stuff. However, beyond their site, which includes an exclusive track and some odd illustrations, there is but one other match for their album on Google.

A had a similar experience looking for several bands from a collection of underground music from Liverpool which I fancied, but generally there are at least a few appearances online of such musical entities.

Anyone else here had a similar experience? Want to share such an artist?

P.S. I've found more information on Gog. Really looking in the wrong places. I'm still intrigued by what I see/hear. The snippet from the Noriah Mills CD-R reminds me (favourably) of "Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine". It seems they blend Earth's drony, disconnected side with Sunn 0)))'s spectral, evil side. Succulent.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (05-20-2015), Halloween Harlequin (01-24-2010), Sam (01-24-2010)
Old 07-18-2007   #2
Severini
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 20,427, Level: 98 Points: 20,427, Level: 98 Points: 20,427, Level: 98
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Ridiculously Obscure Music

I had the opportunity of listening to Noriah Mills about 3 months ago.the album has two tracks.First one is 6 minutes lenght and is not so good.But Noriah Mills is excellent.When it reaches the 12 minute mark (it´s about 21 minutes long), you can´t help but feel lost within a haze of distortion and feedback.You are right comparing this to Earth´s "Teeh of lions...", they are very similar pieces.

I had the feeling you describe with an irish band called "Rollerskate Skinny".People praise The flaming lips and Mercury Rev for fusing the pop with the experimental.They look like aspiring musicians compared to Rollerskate Skinny, which in two records, did much, much better than any of those bands.At one time,when they recorded their first record (Shoulder Voices-1994), Kevin Shield´s (from My Bloody Valentine) brother were a member.Then everyone wanted to listen to them mostly because of this.The music should be enough.

When Jimmy Shields left, they released an even better record (Horsedrawn Wishes -1996) but it failed miserably (commercially, I mean.Musically it is a masterpiece...).
When AMG says that Rollerskate Skinny "sounds like a stunning, warped genre onto itself" with Horsedrawn Wishes, they are right.

If you're a wizard, why do you wear glasses?
Severini is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Sam (01-24-2010)
Old 07-18-2007   #3
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100

Another I found out about a week or so ago is Larmousse, form Glasgow. I'd actually downloaded their debut a year ago, but had entirely forgotten about it until a said point. Basically, they are experimental pop-meets-post-rock stuff. I can't really classify them, as they have barely any adherence to genre formula. Which, I think, is great. They made a bit of a buzz when they released a self-titled EP around 2000. Other than a single, it is their only release, period. I know they distributed some eight-song demos in the late '90s, but otherwise nothing I can trace. Enigmatic, but pleasing.

Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (05-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2007   #4
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

TSO, my memory has been stirred. I have an album by a very mysterious band released in 1969, The Masked Marauders. The liner notes by T. M. Christian hint at the release as a "super session" of rock's cream at the time: "Unfortunately, the musicians on this record must remain anonymous. The web of entangling legal commitments in which they have become enmeshed over the last few years prevents them from revealing their true identities. But here they are, nonetheless. As strong as ever." The album is a mix of originals and covers. The original tunes are " I Can't Get No Nookie," "Cow Pie," " More Or Less Hudson's Bay Again," and "Saturday Night At The Cow Palace." The album also includes an insert (printed back to back) of a review from Rolling Stone of the album by T. M. Christian (October 18, 1969) and deconstructionist comments by Ralph J. Gleason from San Francisco Chronicle (October 8, 1969). Can that really be B*b D*l*n, M*ck J*gg*r, and J*hn L*nn*n? You decide. If you can find it, that is...

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Sam (01-24-2010)
Old 07-23-2007   #5
Kevin
Grimscribe
Points: 19,665, Level: 96 Points: 19,665, Level: 96 Points: 19,665, Level: 96
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

If I'm not mistaken, one of the Marauders was Paul McCartney's brother.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #6
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100

I must preface this video with a statement:
Please do not take offense to the content of the video. I am among you that enjoy music that is "off the radar" and in fact covet many bands that their obscurity most likely strengthens my attraction to them. Though I am certain that neither I nor anyone expressing interest in obscure bands within this thread are nothing like the individuals portrayed in the follow skit, the humor is relevant to the extreme individuals that I have encountered previously, and even to a lessor extent within myself. That is what makes it so humorous to me. I hope you enjoy it likewise. Enough said.
http://www.break.com/index/thats_pretty_underground.html

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Sam (01-24-2010), tartarusrussell (01-24-2010)
Old 07-28-2007   #7
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Dr. Bantham, thank you for this thoroughly entertaining and personally inoffensive video clip. It cleverly jabs fun at extremism and oneupsmanship. Ironically, the absurdity of the skit is not far from the truth. Off now to compose a post-apocalyptic dark ambient polka opera in three acts entitled Prairie Dogs at Dusk...

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (05-20-2015)
Old 07-28-2007   #8
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Thanks for the video. I loved it. Whoever could be offended by that deserves to be offend (no offense intended).
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #9
Patrick Mullins
Mannikin
Points: 5,404, Level: 50 Points: 5,404, Level: 50 Points: 5,404, Level: 50
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Funny video. Unfortunately,these people (or people like them) are very real. I used to see them at least once a day, at that damn record store in San Francisco. They made me want to quit doing anything involving music. Fortunately, I got over it.
Patrick Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #10
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Absolutely perfect video. The last few moments of the sketch regarding the "albums" were hilarious.

Speaking of pure oddness, how does anyone here feel about The Door and The Window? For those who don't know, they were a small organ of the London Musician's Collective, which also spawned The Flying Lizards. Fun, weird, and wonderfully balanced between naïve virtuosity and complete ineptitude. In a good way.

Also, Rollerskate Skinny are quite excellent. They remind me of so many odd things, and yet are utterly different. Lovely lunatic music.