THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Ligotti News
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-03-2008   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
THE NIGHTMARE FACTORY, Volume 2 (Graphic Novel) Now In Print

THE NIGHTMARE FACTORY, Volume 2 (Graphic Novel) is now in print and shipping.

Contents
Gas Station Carnivals (Written by Joe Harris, Art by Vasilis Lolos)
The Clown Puppet (Written by Joe Harris, Art by Bill Sienkiewicz)
The Chymist (Written by Stuart Moore, Art by Toby Cypress)
The Sect of the Idiot (Written by Stuart Moore, Art by Nick Stakal)

Additional content viewable at:
Harper Collins: The Nightmare Factory, Volume 2 by Thomas Ligotti.
See attachments for the full press release.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ligotti - TNF2 Press Release.pdf (34.2 KB, 122 views)

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
candy (09-03-2008), Jezetha (09-03-2008), yellowish haze (09-03-2008)
Old 09-09-2008   #2
Dr. Zirk
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 39,641, Level: 100 Points: 39,641, Level: 100 Points: 39,641, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: THE NIGHTMARE FACTORY, Volume 2 (Graphic Novel) Now In Print

Bill Sienkiewicz's take on "The Clown Puppet" is impressive - of course, it's based on an excellent short story, but still...

The first volume of these comics adaptations was pretty mediocre (IMHO), but the second volume is a definite improvement - well worth tracking down.
Dr. Zirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008   #3
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Thompson
Thomas Ligotti Fans:

Hi, my name is Robert, editor of Fantasy Book Critic—website dedicated to the promotion of fantasy, science fiction, horror, suspense, etc. through book reviews, interviews, giveaways, and so on. Just wanted to let you know that I've reviewed "The Nightmare Factory 2" here:

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...viewed-by.html

Let me know what you think of it! Thanks for your time and much love & respect...

Robert

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (09-27-2008), Jezetha (09-27-2008)
Old 09-27-2008   #4
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100 Points: 57,437, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Robert Thompson
Thomas Ligotti Fans:

Hi, my name is Robert, editor of Fantasy Book Critic—website dedicated to the promotion of fantasy, science fiction, horror, suspense, etc. through book reviews, interviews, giveaways, and so on. Just wanted to let you know that I've reviewed "The Nightmare Factory 2" here:

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...viewed-by.html

Let me know what you think of it! Thanks for your time and much love & respect...

Robert
I thought it was a good review of the comic - nice job.

I liked volume 2 better than volume 1. I'll certainly pick up a volume 3, if there's one coming.

I still don't think this medium can do justice to the stories, but I'm glad they are out there - possibly recruiting the next generation of fans ;)
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (09-27-2008)
Old 09-27-2008   #5
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 419,837, Level: 100 Points: 419,837, Level: 100 Points: 419,837, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by waffles View Post
I thought it was a good review of the comic - nice job.

I liked volume 2 better than volume 1. I'll certainly pick up a volume 3, if there's one coming.

I still don't think this medium can do justice to the stories, but I'm glad they are out there - possibly recruiting the next generation of fans ;)
I have enjoyed both of The Nightmare Factory graphic novels. But my favorite medium for TL's work would an illustrated book...or two.
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #6
Wilbanks
Mannikin
Points: 12,953, Level: 78 Points: 12,953, Level: 78 Points: 12,953, Level: 78
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Mine came in the mail yesterday. I enjoyed the first one for what is was so it's good to know the second one is even better.

Wilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #7
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

I have to say I'm mildly disappointed by Vol. 2. I was at first with Vol. 1, too, but that grew on me. I doubt this will.

The anxiety in Gas Station Carnivals doesn't transform very well to the comic book, and the bar is far too crowded. Nothing is too derelict here. Having a full frontal pic of the showman is quite a stupid idea; it can only disappoint. However, it would've been nice, had this one been slightly less disappointing. The Sandman with a top hat? To quote Tom G. Warrior of Celtic Frost: "Urgh".

The drawings of The Clown Puppet are of course absolutely great. However, the clown puppet itself seems far too agile compared to the picture in my imagination. I prefer to think of it as being more clumsy and plumpy. But that's of course my fault. Nevertheless, the comic doesn't really convey the extreme alienation and paranoia of the protagonist of the short story. We get effects instead. Maybe that's just my taste that's wrong.

The Chymist is funny, funnier than I thought it would be, when turned into a comic, but it doesn't really do much for me. By merely writing the narrator off as a comical madman, his monologue loses suggestive value.

The Sect of the Idiot has got brilliant drawings, in spite of its protagonist being a bit too good looking - I think (again, it's only my opinion) the meaning of the story would have worked better, had he been a Herr Jedermann instead of a film star. I don't the feeling of cosmic horror as I did in the short story, but this one works.

All in all, for me it's only 2 out of 4 that work, and even they don't come close to the originals, leaving only a slight impression. Here's hoping Vol. 3 gets it back on the track.

Edit: Maybe it's just me having a bad day, but I am quite disappointed.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #8
SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
Chymist
Points: 23,365, Level: 100 Points: 23,365, Level: 100 Points: 23,365, Level: 100

Hello after a long absence.

I started this volume with "The Clown Puppet" and haven't moved on to the others yet. Reading a Ligotti story for the first time in a while has made me sit with this one a couple of days. It's one of his most affecting tales...

I think the story (which I've read twice or thrice) was enhanced for me by the art and structure of the comic, but the story is nevertheless the main thing here. I really like Sienkiewicz from way back in the days of 1980s Marvel, though I can't say there's been much in the way of change or improvement in his art, judging by this offering alone. And the clown figure conflicted with my own vision, but that's going to happen. The "BEEF-PORK-GOAT" worked very well -- they had fun with that one.

TL's intro hinted at a whole variety of nonsense to be encountered in existence. Among the others I discovered in the book are the medicines nonsense, the work nonsense, even perhaps the suicide nonsense in that I wondered if the narrator ever considered concocting the right pill-potion for that occasion from behind the curtained back room. Although it might be said that is the least nonsensical thing to consider, ultimately.

I've been going through the work nonsense, and I find myself envying the narrator in his nightwatchman, groundskeeper, etc., work. It has me trying on many emulatory situations in my mind.

Another discovery: Just as in "Dr. Voke and Mr. Veech," a kind of salvation-from-on-high yanks a character out of this life and dangles him in a life/death(?) unseen and high above somewhere. The familiar term "suspended animation" comes to mind...or "depended." Which makes me think of the recapitulation of the yo-yo dangling from the clown puppet's hand -- who is himself dangling -- and "in the face" of the narrator. This is the kind of richness the graphic-story art form has lent one of my favorites stories. As well, there's a verticality in the story: the puppet's wires, of course, but also that much of the nonsense is forced-fed us, shoved through our erect physical systems like food...like meds. In one end, out the other. Just as animals, who are force-fed the better for us to eat!

The day after reading this, I had to spend a whole day at the art museum where I work under notice that if I read again on the job, I'd be fired. Those of you who've read my story from early '07 (found somewhere on this site, "And the Blind Shall Lead Them") will recognize a similar thing in the backstory of my main character there. I was forced to brainstorm all day...all kinds of nonsense, I'm sure. But I also got to reflect on the last thing I had read.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to build my freelance editing business and can spend just so much time in front of the computer. Sorry been gone so long. Best to everyone. Can't wait for Tom's book! -NP

www.thelastdraft.com

"Think of it [Mr. Veech] -- wood waking up."
SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (11-05-2008), G. S. Carnivals (10-22-2008)
Old 11-05-2008   #9
the_havoc_man
Mystic
Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I just my copy of The Nightmare Factory Vol. 2 yesterday. I can't wait to read it.
the_havoc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #10
Aeron
Chymist
Points: 26,721, Level: 100 Points: 26,721, Level: 100 Points: 26,721, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Does anyone know if a third volume is in the works?
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote