Old 01-16-2006   #1
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 8,049, Level: 62 Points: 8,049, Level: 62 Points: 8,049, Level: 62
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Scarab Songs of a Dead Dreamer for sale

I am selling one copy of the 1985 Silver Scarab Press edition of Songs of a Dead Dreamer, signed by the author.

If I have the site owners' permission, I want to actually auction the book. The opening bid is $500, which is the price I paid for it. I'll take bids for 7 days. If I do receive permission to do this, I'll post another message stating that the auction is open and give the time and date when it closes.

People should just post their bids on the forum. That way everyone can see the current winning bid. International bidders are welcome. When I have winner, I will post this fact in the forum and contact the winner.

I'll accept two forms of payment: (1) PayPal. I have an account, and I can send a request by e-mail to the buyer asking for payment; (2) domestic or international money order. When I contact the winner I will ask which form of payment they want to use.

If using PayPal, they will have 7 days after I have requested payment to complete the transaction. I will give the buyer the exact deadline. If the transaction is not completed within this time, I will offer the book to the person who posted the next highest bid. But the price of the book remains the same--that is, the price of the first winning bid. If that person doesn't want to buy or does but the transaction falls through, the process continues until I get the money.

If using a money order, the buyer will have 2 days to mail payment and must send a message confirming that they have done so. We can also discuss shipping options; there'll be no charge for shipping or insurance. I must receive the money order within 7 days after their confirmation. I will give the buyer the exact deadline. If the buyer wants to ensure the money gets to me in time, I suggest using some form of express mail. If I don't get the money order by the deadline, the procedure for offering to another bidder described in the previous paragraph also applies here.

Using PayPal is probably the safest method for both of us. PayPal does offer some protection against fraudulent transactions. International buyers CAN use PayPal, by the way. I have sold items to people in Europe using PayPal.

I want to post photos of the book's cover and author's signature, but I don't know how. Is this possible? I can probably e-mail them as attachments to anyone interested.

Thanks.
Dr Thoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #2
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Threadstarter
Re: Scarab Songs of a Dead Dreamer for sale

By the way, if anyone wants to check my reliability as a seller, they can visit eBay and search my user profile. It's "hambonefishpie." I received good ratings. This should ease anyone's anxiety.
Old 01-17-2006   #3
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Threadstarter

For those who don't know how to search for specific eBay members, here's how you do it.

1) On eBay you'll see a search field at the upper right corner of the page. Click the link beneath it, "Advanced Search."
2) On the next page you'll see a column of links on the left. Click on "Find a Member."
3) On the next page there'll be another search field. Type in "hambonefishpie."
4) On the last page you'll see my user ID and a number. Click on the number and it'll take you to my user feedback page.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006   #4
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Threadstarter

Well, I've received no replies to this post or any messages from the web masters about auctioning the book on Ligotti.net. I'm therefore assuming there are no objections.

The auction for my copy of the Scarab Press edition of Songs of a Dead Dreamer is now open. I'll accept any initial bids, but the reserve price--the lowest price I'll accept-- is still $500.

I'll keep the auction open until 11:59 p.m. on February 7.

Anyone who wants to bid just post a message on this forum.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006   #5
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thoss";p=&quot View Post
Well, I've received no replies to this post or any messages from the web masters about auctioning the book on Ligotti.net. I'm therefore assuming there are no objections.

The auction for my copy of the Scarab Press edition of Songs of a Dead Dreamer is now open. I'll accept any initial bids, but the reserve price--the lowest price I'll accept-- is still $500.

I'll keep the auction open until 11:59 p.m. on February 7.

Anyone who wants to bid just post a message on this forum.

Thanks.
Seems like a fair price... almost. This is a bit like the paperback edition of TAROVFAOGT: An excellent item but far overpriced by many. This is a tad more than thrice as rare as a book that goes for $115, so shouldn't it go for $350 or $400 in the stead of $500?

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #6
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Threadstarter

Well, if anyone wants to start bidding at $350 or $400, feel free. I'm game.
Old 01-30-2006   #7
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Threadstarter

I've sold the book.

And I want to thank everyone for their lack of interest. Have fun tiptoeing through hell.
Old 01-31-2006   #8
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thoss";p=&quot View Post
I've sold the book. And I want to thank everyone for their lack of interest. Have fun tiptoeing through hell.
"Heavy words are so lightly thrown." - Morrissey (The Smiths)

I sense your frustration, Dr. Thoss, especially in light of being in a similar situation myself. I have a number of books which I need to sell in order to help with my financials, and have had little luck of late. Bear in mind that while TLO has grown to substantial membership there is a limited percentage that may visit and keep up with the boards in a given month. Extract from that subset the number of folks that:
  1. Do not already own a copy of the book.
  2. Are the caliber of collector that would be interested in owning expensive selections.
  3. Have the available funds to purchase what they fancy.
As you can imagine, though TLO provides a concentrated base of Ligotti fans, it does not necessarily provide an optimal marketplace.

You, as well as all other TLO members, are welcome to pursue this manner of commerce within TLO, as long as the right spirit is maintained. I fear, based on your comment, this spirit has been compromised. I am sorry that your pursuit has resulted in hard feelings. I should remind you of such reservations of which I foresaw and stated concerns for within the following post:
I Have TLO Books for Sale

Having had my say in the matter, I will chalk your response up to frustration and not take the comment personally, as I advise other members should do. We all have our own personal hells to contend with, and one must remember to tiptoe through another man's hell with care.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote