THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Ligotti News
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-03-2008   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Virgin Books to Publish Paperback Edition of TEATRO GROTTESCO

Click for larger version
Virgin Books to Publish Paperback Edition of TEATRO GROTTESCO 
Virgin Books Ltd is scheduled to release a paperback edition of TEATRO GROTTESCO. This book is currently available for pre-order from

Copy from Virgin Books Ltd
Ligotti follows the literary tradition that began with Edgar Allan Poe: portraying characters that are outside of anything that might be called normal life, depicting strange locales far off the beaten track, and rendering a grim vision of human existence as a perpetual nightmare. Just by entering his unique world where odd little towns and dark sectors are peopled with clowns, manikins and hideous puppets, and where tormented individuals and blackly comical eccentrics play out their doom, is to risk your own vision of the world.

Synopsis from Amazon.com
Thomas Ligotti is often cited as the most curious and remarkable figure in horror literature since H. P. Lovecraft. His work is noted by critics for its display of an exceptionally grotesque imagination and accomplished prose style. In his stories, Ligotti has followed a literary tradition that began with Edgar Allan Poe, portraying characters that are outside of anything that might be called normal life, depicting strange locales far off the beaten track, and rendering a grim vision of human existence as a perpetual nightmare.The stories collected in "Teatro Grottesco" feature tormented individuals who play out their doom in various odd little towns for which Ligotti is noted as well as in dark sectors frequented by sinister and often blackly comical eccentrics. The cycle of narratives that includes the title work of this collection, for instance, introduces readers to a freakish community of artists who encounter demonic perils that ultimately engulf their lives. These are selected examples of the forbidding array of persons and places that compose the fiction of Thomas Ligotti.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #2
Karnos
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
Thumbs up Re: Virgin Books to Publish Paperback Edition of TEATRO GROTTESCO

Will they eventually have a North American release?

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #3
ghadis
Mannikin
Points: 7,714, Level: 61 Points: 7,714, Level: 61 Points: 7,714, Level: 61
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: Virgin Books to Publish Paperback Edition of TEATRO GROTTESCO

Just noticed on Amazon that Virgin Books are releasing My Work Is Not Yet Done in paperback Feb 2009.
ghadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (07-07-2008)
Old 07-31-2008   #4
Gritblues
Mannikin
Points: 5,852, Level: 52 Points: 5,852, Level: 52 Points: 5,852, Level: 52
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

The artwork for My Work Is Not Yet Done is up on Amazon UK:

Gritblues is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (07-31-2008), Cyril Tourneur (08-01-2008), Jezetha (07-31-2008)
Old 07-31-2008   #5
Jezetha
Chymist
Points: 11,922, Level: 75 Points: 11,922, Level: 75 Points: 11,922, Level: 75
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

I am glad TL's work is becoming easier available. If Virgin published his older work too, some sort of breakthrough to a much larger audience might be a possibility.

Last edited by Jezetha; 07-31-2008 at 04:17 PM..
Jezetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #6
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 420,282, Level: 100 Points: 420,282, Level: 100 Points: 420,282, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Gritblues View Post
The artwork for My Work Is Not Yet Done is up on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Work-Not-...7492377&sr=8-2

Not very inspired. The Mythos edition with artwork by Harry O. Morris is among my favorites in terms of book production quality.
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #7
Gritblues
Mannikin
Points: 5,852, Level: 52 Points: 5,852, Level: 52 Points: 5,852, Level: 52
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Quote Originally Posted by bendk View Post
Not very inspired. The Mythos edition with artwork by Harry O. Morris is among my favorites in terms of book production quality.
Agreed. Though Virgin Books artwork for Teatro Grottesco was terrific. Still, great to see Ligotti back with a mainstream publisher. I, too, have the Mythos edition (as well as the Durtro one of TG) and, yes, it's a lovely edition.

However, don't know as Virgin will release any more of Ligotti's titles: all of his major collections prior to these two have already received UK publication. I suspect that's why these two were picked. But, hey, would love for Virgin Books to prove me wrong!
Gritblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #8
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I picked up my copy of the book this morning... and thus have yet actually to read it.

(I ordered it from Amazon, was out when the postman tried to deliver the package, and had to pick it up from the delivery office.)

Based on the blurb I must say that, had I been browsing in a bookshop and not known the name of Thomas Ligotti I would certainly not have bought this book. What would have convinced me not to buy is this from a quoted review:

One of the most unique voices in the field.

(A) One of the most is a phrase that is, to me, akin to finger nails scratched on a blackboard. Only one can be the most. The phrase should be one of the more.

(B) Unique is a superlative. Nothing can be more or less unique -- either someone or something is or isn't unique, there are no degrees of uniqueness.

The combination of two gross devaluations of the English language in a single short sentence is simply apalling. I realise that Mr Ligotti probably has no control over the blurb the publishers place on the back of the book -- but I hope that he can persuade them to remove it when the book is reprinted. I wonder how many sales have been lost through that sentence. As I've said, in different circumstances, it would have lost the sale to me.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #9
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Odalisque View Post
One of the most unique voices in the field.

(A) One of the most is a phrase that is, to me, akin to finger nails scratched on a blackboard. Only one can be the most. The phrase should be one of the more.

(B) Unique is a superlative. Nothing can be more or less unique -- either someone or something is or isn't unique, there are no degrees of uniqueness.

The combination of two gross devaluations of the English language in a single short sentence is simply apalling. I realise that Mr Ligotti probably has no control over the blurb the publishers place on the back of the book -- but I hope that he can persuade them to remove it when the book is reprinted. I wonder how many sales have been lost through that sentence. As I've said, in different circumstances, it would have lost the sale to me.
I agree, Odalisque. Whenever I hear or read that phrase--"one of the most unique"--I am invariably reminded of the caustic examples given by William Strunk:

"It was the most unique egg beater on the market."

"Of all the spiders, the one that lives in a bubble under water is the most unique."

There can be NO DEGREES of uniqueness!

To find that bankrupt phrase on the cover of Teatro is grotesque. Ligotti is an upholder of the English language... ahh. A literate blurb may be too much to hope for in this age.

"Reality is the shadow of the word." -- Bruno Schulz
Bleak&Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #10
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 276,156, Level: 100 Points: 276,156, Level: 100 Points: 276,156, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Completely agree with Odalisque. I am aghast!

I have not see the Virgin version (I have the Durtro one).
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote