THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Site Features
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-28-2008   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
TLO Style Concept - Bungalow House

I have long planned to create a style based on The Bungalow House. The basic concept is to utilize textures featuring worn and filthy building materials. I began modifying an existing style as a starting point for this project, and have been taken with the transparent effect of the panels. The floorboards, while an effective impact otherwise, are not nearly dingy enough. On a side note, I recall seeing a crawling bug effect on a web page somewhere, but I cannot seem to locate it. Those damned vermin never show their shells when you are searching for them. It was similar to the famous Orkin commercial that emulated a cockroach crawling across the screen.

This may resolve as two separate styles in the end. Anyway, feel free to check out the progress by selecting Bungalow House (BETA) from the style selection box at the bottom left of every TLO page. It will remain the active style for your browsing session. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
Bleak&Icy (12-28-2008), candy (12-28-2008), G. S. Carnivals (12-28-2008), Spotbowserfido2 (02-06-2010), starrysothoth (12-28-2008), The Black Ferris (04-30-2009)
Old 01-01-2009   #2
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Re: TLO Style Concept - Bungalow House

I have abandoned Bungalow House as a style for now, as the theme seems a bit too daunting to tackle at the moment.

Excerpt from ChatBox:
Quote Originally Posted by Bleak&Icy
A bungalow universe should inspire feelings of euphoric hopelessness.
Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham
I think that also describes the feeling I get when trying to tackle the task of conveying such an impression. Once again, I remain lost in translation.
I have labeled the original BH style template as Wood (Transparent). At the moment it appears to have no thematic derivative of a Ligotti story or book. I am quite fond of the effect, however, and might keep it intact in spite of it being displaced thematically.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Thanks From:
The Black Ferris (04-30-2009)
Old 01-01-2009   #3
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

"Yes, we saw them, though somewhat belatedly. And they were not seen only in the chromatic designs of those deathless leaves. They could show themselves anywhere, if always briefly. Upon a cellar wall there might appear an ill-formed visage among the damp and fractured stones, a hideous impersonation of a face infiltrating the dark corners of our homes. Other faces, leprous masks, would arise within the grain of panelled walls or wooden floors, spying for a moment before sinking back into the knotty shadows, withdrawing below the surface. And there were so many nameless patterns that might spread themselves across the boards of an old fence or the side of a shed, engravings all tangled and wizened like a subterranean craze of roots and tendrils, an underworld riot of branching convolutions, gnarled ornamentations. Yet these designs were not unfamiliar to us... for in them we recognized the same outlines of autumnal decay that illuminated our dreams."
Thomas Ligotti - "The Shadow at the Bottom of the World"

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 01-01-2009   #4
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
"Yes, we saw them, though somewhat belatedly. And they were not seen only in the chromatic designs of those deathless leaves. They could show themselves anywhere, if always briefly. Upon a cellar wall there might appear an ill-formed visage among the damp and fractured stones, a hideous impersonation of a face infiltrating the dark corners of our homes. Other faces, leprous masks, would arise within the grain of panelled walls or wooden floors, spying for a moment before sinking back into the knotty shadows, withdrawing below the surface. And there were so many nameless patterns that might spread themselves across the boards of an old fence or the side of a shed, engravings all tangled and wizened like a subterranean craze of roots and tendrils, an underworld riot of branching convolutions, gnarled ornamentations. Yet these designs were not unfamiliar to us... for in them we recognized the same outlines of autumnal decay that illuminated our dreams."
Thomas Ligotti - "The Shadow at the Bottom of the World"
I actually found this quote when searching through the database for references to wood. Unfortunately, it does not tie well with the general direction of the current TSATBOTW style. It is also a reference which would not likely be identified by most visitors. I should know that I could count on you, of course, to find the one reference which made a connection to the graphic element. ;)

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Thanks From:
Old 04-29-2009   #5
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

This style has been renamed Under the Floorboards. It will likely see revisions. The Bungalow House remains unconquered.

I am angry I am I'll and I'm as ugly as sin
My irritability keeps me alive and kicking
I know the meaning of life, it doesn't help me a bit
I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it

This is a song from under the floorboards
This is a song from where the wall is cracked
By force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact

I know the highest and the best
I accord them all due respect
But the brightest jewel inside of me
Glows with pleasure at my own stupidity

This is a song ....

I used to make phantoms I could later chase
Images of all that could be desired
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings
And then I just got tired

This is a song ...

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
3 Thanks From:
Daisy (04-29-2009), The Black Ferris (04-30-2009), waffles (04-30-2009)