THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Member Interviews
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
TLO Member Interview: brendanconnell
Interview conducted by Phillip Stecco
Published by G. S. Carnivals
12-01-2010

Conducted by Phillip Stecco

Brendan Connell is the author of the novel The Translation of Father Torturo and the story collections Metrophilias and Unpleasant Tales. He resides in New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment.

1) How did you first encounter the work of Thomas Ligotti?

I had heard a number of people mention him as being one of the best contemporary writers of dark fiction. This was a number of years ago. I probably first read his work in 1999.

2) What are some of your favorite works by Mr. Ligotti?

He has written many very good stories, but one that has stuck with me over the years is called "Nethescurial."

3) What other writers do you enjoy reading?

There are so many good writers, it is hard to know where to start or end. Mostly I read older books. One of my favourite authors is Ponson du Terrail. I also like Catulle Mendès, Gustave Kahn, Jean Lorrain. Ernesto Sabato is a writer I greatly admire. For the short form, Rhys Hughes stands out amongst contemporaries.

4) Does your writing come easily or laboriously?

Sometimes one, sometimes the other. Sometimes I can write very fast. The Translation of Father Torturo I wrote in 3 months, not working all the time, while "The Life of Polycrates" which is about a quarter the length of the former, took me around 6 months. It really depends on my mood and the mood that I am looking for.

5) What writing projects are you currently involved in?

I am currently at work on a number of books. I won't mention them all. One of them however is a sequel to The Translation of Father Torturo. Then two or three novels. A lot of what I am working on I would not categorise as dark fiction, though some of it is. I have been also working with Chômu Press in the final version of my collection from them and will soon be adding the final touches to my Dr. Black book from PS Publishing, even though it is not due out until 2012.

6) Do you have any favorite singers or musicians?

I like all sorts of music. No favourites really though.

7) Do you have any favorite artists in the visual media?

Generally I like older art, but also like a few contemporary artists. Some artists I admire: Ma Yüan, Pisanello, Paolo Uccello, my father, Verrocchio, Donatello, Toadhouse, Eugene Newmann, and Liang K'ai.

8) What are some of your favorite movies?

The films of Kurosawa. I watch many films, but these are the ones that stand above the rest over the years. Also some films by Satyajit Ray. I also like older Italian films very much.

9) Do you watch television?

No.

10) What foods do you enjoy eating?

Anything that is prepared with care. I usually prefer Asian or Italian food, though I have a difficult time if there are no good tortillas to eat around me. I mean Mexican-style tortillas, preferably made with corn. When I am in Europe, that is the food thing I miss most.

11) Do you have any odd hobbies or collecting fetishes?

I used to buy a lot of books, but I don't have room for them anymore. Mostly I just collect things in my head.

12) What recreational activities do you enjoy?

Walking. Honestly though, I spend a huge amount of time on writing, which often leaves very little to spare for other things.

13) What makes you laugh?

Funny things.

14) Do you have any interesting work anecdotes to relate?

Desperate for money, I once wrote a travel guide to a place I had never been. The publisher said that they liked my style and gave me a contract for two more guides. I had briefly been to one of the other locations; the other I had never set foot in, but I claimed to know them well. I described hotel lobbies, local history, local cuisine, gay bars, and even offered medical advice. But probably all travel guides are written this way.

15) What is your earliest childhood memory?

I grew up in rural New Mexico. The nearest policeman was an hour away. My earliest memory is walking in a field towards a creek. My father was carrying a jar of lemonade with honey that my mother had made.

16) What is your fondest childhood memory?

My father used to tell my sister and I bedtime stories. These were very elaborate and would go on night after night, month after month. There were dolphins and yogis, strange hairy creatures, bears and birds that could talk. One of the stories was called "Travelling Where the Sky Ends" which had a character called Tri-Sodium Sally. I have fond memories of that.

17) Who has been the most influential person in your life?

My mother and father.

18) Do you have a special plan for this world?

Well, I certainly don't have any plans for the next. In this world: aside from personal things that would probably not interest anyone reading this, I have a number of literary projects planned. Hopefully some of them will come to pass. In a certain sense it is better to keep quiet about one's ambitions, otherwise they could be jinxed.

19) What else should we know about you?

Just the question I was asking myself.
15 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (12-04-2010), bendk (12-01-2010), candy (12-01-2010), Derek (12-12-2010), Freyasfire (12-01-2010), gveranon (12-01-2010), Joe Pulver (12-01-2010), Nemonymous (12-01-2010), njhorror (12-01-2010), qcrisp (12-01-2010), rhysaurus (12-01-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (12-01-2010), starrysothoth (12-01-2010), waffles (12-01-2010), yellowish haze (12-01-2010)