THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Other Authors > D. F. Lewis
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Candlemass
Candlemass
by DF Lewis
Published by Nemonymous
03-05-2006
Candlemass

TO BE PUBLISHED IN 2012 - 'THE LAST BALCONY' COLLECTION (The InkerMen Press)
2 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (02-02-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (02-02-2010)
By yellowish haze on 03-05-2006
Re: [ KB ] Candlemass by DFL

Wow, I guess I'm the first one to read this! Impressive as always, des!
By G. S. Carnivals on 03-05-2006
Re: Candlemass by DFL

We've heard of, say, an artist's "blue period" and such. "Candlemass" and "Grass" may be the herald of D.F. Lewis' "ear period." A wonderful story!
By barrywood on 03-06-2006
A very good story, des. I enjoyed it a lot. So good to read the short shorts again. Cheers, des.

Barry
By Dr. Valzer on 04-08-2006

Very nice work, Des.

Best,
Richard Gavin
By Nemonymous on 04-09-2006

Thanks, Richard. And great to hear from you.

Whilst writing here, may I take this opportunity of confirming an announcement I made elsewhere earlier today:

In recent weeks and months, I've grown conscious that the way I conduct myself on the internet is counterproductive to my ideas, to my works and to my products. I now therefore intend to shut up.
(Sighs of relief all round!)
des :-)
By Nemonymous on 04-10-2006
Re above -- Sorry, I don't mean to be a prima donna! :-)

Clarification possibly here:
http://www.weirdmonger.blogspot.com/

I intend to continue to read TLO material and to contribute (sparingly) here and elsewhere. It's just that I've had a Road to Damascus that I am a bit of a nuisance poster and too self-promoting. I don't to mean to be.

Meanwhile, the question -- can too much (or a certain kind of) internet interaction by an author, publisher, artist etc. inevitably be seen as self-promotion and counter-productive?
By Dr. Bantham on 04-10-2006
Re above -- Sorry, I don't mean to be a prima donna! :-)
I certainly did not interpret the statement in that manner. It was with sadness and curiosity that I read the post.
I intend to continue to read TLO material and to contribute (sparingly) here and elsewhere. It's just that I've had a Road to Damascus that I am a bit of a nuisance poster and too self-promoting. I don't to mean to be.
I had instead interpreted the statement as a proclamation that internet publishing was proving fruitless and diminishing potential income. This, of course, is quite possibly an adverse effect of sharing stories online. I strongly admire the online publishing work you have committed yourself to in the past. It is a welcomed resource in a sea of degenerate culture and your "art for the sake of art" approach is a profound complement to the wonderful stories themselves.
Meanwhile, the question -- can too much (or a certain kind of) internet interaction by an author, publisher, artist etc. inevitably be seen as self-promotion and counter-productive?
We are in a particular medium here that is in a constant flux and has no historical comparison, to my knowledge. I would say that online display, interaction and even promotion is simply subject to the tact of the artist. Without exception, I have always found your online presence and effective residue to be quite tasteful. In fact, I detect more of a humble artist of amazing talent than a self-promoting hack. Indeed, the very concept of The Weirdmonger Wheel and the distribution of reading material for free is contrary to the logic of a businessman.

Having said all of that, please do continue to participate in this and other online capacities. Scaling back online interaction is understandable, as is pursuing printed publication in lieu of rampant electronic distribution. I think I speak for all of us here at TLO that we value your friendship and insight as much as your ability to hold us captive with a great story.
By candy on 04-10-2006
I do hope you continue to check in with us. You would be missed. I have enjoyed reading all that you have posted and do not feel you are a nuisance poster at all!!!
By Nemonymous on 04-10-2006

Thanks, Dr B and Candy.
Oops, I didn't mean mean my posts to elicit support - but, now having received the support, I'm very grateful for it. My first post was merely a spur-of-the-moment venting of a confessional nature - because, as you say, Dr B, these are effectively uncharted waters and, indeed, I felt myself (perhaps wrongly) to be in choppy seas elsewhere.

In any event, I'm pleased I made the second post because Dr B's

I had instead interpreted the statement as a proclamation that internet publishing was proving fruitless and diminishing potential income.

was indeed not what i intended to imply - and if this was a possible interpretation, I had not expressed myself properly by conveying it. I enjoy writing fiction and throwing ideas around on the internet and so forth for their own sake.

Thanks again, Dr B and Candy. I am very grateful. And I'll try not to enter the purple curtains again.
Comment