THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Ligotti Influences
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
By Mr Mondo on 04-16-2013
Re: The Masters' Eyes Shining with Secrets

A terrific essay, thanks for posting. While I admire both Ligotti and Lovecraft, I feel Ligotti has a playfulness and lightness of touch in his best works that is absent in Lovecraft (though I am sure there are Lovecraftians out there who may correct me on this!). These qualities make the supernatural occurrences (or out and out horror) when revealed more effective and unsettling. Interesting also to note the connection between Ligotti and the French writer Michel Houllebecq who has wrote admiringly of Lovecraft's influence on his own work. While in terms of style and content they are very different they both share the theme of us being slaves in our lives, of us persevering in the face of nightmarish futility.
Comment